Pop to Your Feet Quickly and Smoothly
Getting to you feet quickly and smoothly is a fundamental surfing skill. Here is a great drill that will help you practice this transition so that when you hit the water it feels second nature. If you do not have a TRX Suspension Trainer you can do a similar exercise with a FITBall (see photo).
1. Start on the floor with one foot in the TRX strap. (TRX needs to be in single handle mode)
2. Do a quick press off the floor and draw your knee towards your chest. Really pull you knee in close. Hold for one second and then release the foot back and return to the floor. Repeat five times.
3. As soon as you complete your five reps perform five surfer pop-ups.
4. Make sure to stick each pop up with solid balance in your surfing crouch.
5. Do the same drill using the other foot and popping up to the opposite stance.
1. Start in a plank and lower your chest towards the ground for one push up
2. Push up and tuck your knee tight into your chest. The closer in you can bring your knee to your chest the better.
1. Be quick. Make the push up to knee tuck as fast as possible with good form.
2. Set your core. Don't let your hips sag and drop. Keep the core muscles braced and strong.
3. Do a few pop ups on the sand right before you paddle out. This will get you synced up for your session and help you stick your first drop.
4. Do your weak side first and finish popping up to your strong side.
Stay healthy and we'll see you in the water.
Scott Adams, CSCS, CES
Disclaimer: Always consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. The suggestions here are in no way intended to substitute for medical advice.